Adair County, Kentucky Genealogy
Adair County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Adair Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Adair County was established on December 11, 1801 from Green County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Adair, eighth Governor of Kentucky (1820–1824) .
Currently the Adair County Seat is situated in Columbia additionally, the county government website is www.adaircounty.ky.gov/
Locations adjacent to Adair County happen to be Taylor County (north), Casey County (northeast), Russell County (east), Cumberland County (south), Metcalfe County (southwest), Green County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Adair County comprise of Columbia.
Adair County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Adair Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Adair Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adair Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Adair Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Adair County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Adair County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Kentucky Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Adair County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Adair County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Adair County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Adair County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Adair County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 424 Public Square, Suite 3, Columbia, KY, 42728-1493
- Phone: (270) 384-2801
- Marriage Records: 1802
- Land Records: 1801
- Probate Records: 1804
- Adair County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Adair County Judicial Center, 201 Campbellsville St., Suite 101, Columbia, KY 42728
- Phone: (270) 384-2626
- Court Records: 1802
- Adair County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Adair County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Kentucky Historical Records
- Databases include Kentucky Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Kentucky Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Kentucky Voter Lists & Census Records; Kentucky Immigration & Emigration Records; Kentucky Obituary Records; Kentucky Military Records; Kentucky Family Tree Records; Kentucky Pictures; Kentucky Stories, Memories & Histories; Kentucky Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Adair County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Adair County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is merely a collection which has been collected or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own most liked Adair County genealogy or family history related sites.
Adair Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Adair Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Adair Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Adair Co. KY Census Records
Adair Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Adair Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Adair Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Adair Co. KY General and History Websites
Adair Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Adair Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Adair Co. KY Military Records
Adair Co. KY Schools & Directories