Allen County, Kentucky Genealogy
Allen County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Allen Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Allen County was established on January 11, 1815 from Barren County and Warren County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Allen (1771–1813), hero of the Battle of Frenchtown in the War of 1812.
Currently the Allen County Seat is situated in Scottsville additionally, the county government website is www.allencountykentucky.com
Locations adjacent to Allen County happen to be Warren County (northwest), Barren County (northeast), Monroe County (east), Macon County, Tennessee (southeast), Sumner County, Tennessee (southwest), Simpson County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Allen County comprise of Adolphus, Halfway, Holland, New Roe, Scottsville.
Allen County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Allen Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Allen Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allen Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allen Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Allen County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Allen County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Kentucky Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- The Allen County Historical Society, 301 North Fourth Street, Scottsville, KY 42164
- KYALLEN Mailing List. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Allen County, Kentucky.
- SOUTH-CENTRAL-KENTUCKY Mailing List. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Kentucky counties of Allen, Barren, Cumberland, Edmonson, Green, Hardin, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Monroe, and Warren. As well as a place for the posting of queries, the list owner will post source data from these counties on a daily basis (as much as possible) including wills, vital statistics, and cemetery records.
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Allen County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Allen County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Allen County
- Allen County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Allen County
Allen County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Allen County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Allen County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Allen county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A courthouse fire on 2 Oct 1902 destroyed some records.
- Allend County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 201 West Main Street-Room 6, Scottsville, KY, 42164
- Phone: (270) 237-3706
- Marriage Records: 1815
- Land Records: 1816
- Probate Records: 1815
- Allen County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Allen County Courthouse, 201 W. Main St., P.O. Box 477, Scottsville, KY 42164-0477
- Phone: (270) 237-3561
- Court Records: 1826
- Allen County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Allen County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Allen County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Allen County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Allen County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Allen Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Allen Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Allen Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Allen Co. KY Census Records
Allen Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Allen Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Allen Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Allen Co. KY General and History Websites
Allen Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Allen Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Allen Co. KY Military Records
Allen Co. KY Schools & Directories