Caldwell County, Kentucky Genealogy
Caldwell County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Caldwell Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Caldwell County was established on January 31, 1809 from Livingston County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Caldwell, Lieutenant Governor of Kentucky (1804) .
Currently the Caldwell County Seat is situated in Princeton additionally, the county government website is www.caldwellcounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Caldwell County happen to be Crittenden County (northwest), Webster County & Hopkins County (northeast), Christian County (southeast), Trigg County (south), Lyon County (southwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Caldwell County comprise of Fredonia, Princeton.
Caldwell County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Caldwell Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Caldwell Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Caldwell Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Caldwell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Caldwell County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Caldwell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Kentucky Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Caldwell County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1, Princeton 42445
- Fredonia Valley Heritage Society, P.O. Box 256, Fredonia, KY 42411
- KYCALDWE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Caldwell County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Caldwell County KYGenWeb page. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- LBL. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Land Between the Lakes region of Kentucky covering Lyon, Caldwell, and Trigg Counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SWKY-NWTN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the counties of southwest Kentucky (Fulton, Graves, Calloway, Trigg, Marshall, Hickman, Carlisle, Lyon, Livingston, Ballard, Caldwell, Crittenden) and northwest Tennessee (Obion, Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Benton, Dyer, Gibson, Humphreys). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Caldwell County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Caldwell County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Caldwell County
- Caldwell County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Caldwell County
Caldwell County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Caldwell County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Caldwell County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Caldwell county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. A courthouse fire on 15 Dec 1864 destroyed some records.
- Caldwelld County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 100 East Market Street, Princeton, KY, 42445
- Phone: (270) 365-6754
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Land Records: 1809
- Probate Records: 1809
- Caldwell County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Caldwell County Courthouse Annex, 105 W. Court Square, Princeton, KY 42445
- Phone: (270) 365-6884
- Court Records: 1809
- Caldwell County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Caldwell County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Caldwell County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Caldwell County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Caldwell County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Caldwell Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Caldwell Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Caldwell Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Caldwell Co. KY Census Records
Caldwell Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Caldwell Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Caldwell Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Caldwell Co. KY General and History Websites
Caldwell Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Caldwell Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Caldwell Co. KY Military Records
Caldwell Co. KY Schools & Directories