Christian County, Kentucky Genealogy
Christian County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Christian Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Christian County was established on December 13, 1796 from Logan County (organized on March l, 1797). Currently the county was named in honor of William Christian (1743–1786), Revolutionary War soldier and founder of Louisville, Kentucky.
Currently the Christian County Seat is situated in Hopkinsville additionally, the county government website is www.christiancountyky.gov
Locations adjacent to Christian County happen to be Hopkins County (north), Muhlenberg County (northeast), Todd County (east), Montgomery County, Tennessee (southeast), Stewart County, Tennessee (southwest), Trigg County (west), Caldwell County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Christian County comprise of Crofton, Fort Campbell North, Hopkinsville, LaFayette, Oak Grove, Pembroke .
Christian County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Christian Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Christian Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Christian Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Christian Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Christian County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Christian County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Kentucky Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Christian County Genealogical Society, 1101 Bethel Street, Hopkinsville, KY 42240; The Christian County Genealogical Society meet every second Tuesday at 6:30 PM in the Community Room of the Hopkinsville- County Library.
- Christian County Historical Society, 3700 Bradshaw Pike, Hopkinsville KY 42240
- KYCHRIST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Christian County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Christian County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Christian County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Christian County
- Christian County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Christian County
Christian County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Christian County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Christian County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Christian county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. The courthouse burned in December 1864 and destroyed some records.
- Christiand County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 511 South Main Street, Hopkinsville, KY, 42240
- Phone: (270) 887-4105
- Marriage Records: 1797
- Land Records: 1797
- Probate Records: 1797
- Christian County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Christian County Justice Center, 100 Justice Way, Hopkinsville, KY 42240
- Phone: (270) 889-6539
- Court Records: 1797
- Christian County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Christian County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Christian County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Christian County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Christian County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Christian Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Christian Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Christian Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Christian Co. KY Census Records
Christian Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Christian Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Christian Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Christian Co. KY General and History Websites
Christian Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Christian Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Christian Co. KY Military Records
Christian Co. KY Schools & Directories