Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy
Floyd County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Floyd Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Floyd County was established on June 1, 1800 from Fleming County, Mason County and Montgomery County. Currently the county was named in honor of John Floyd (1750–1783), surveyor and pioneer .
Currently the Floyd County Seat is situated in Prestonsburg additionally, the county government website is www.floydcountykentucky.com
Locations adjacent to Floyd County happen to be Johnson County (north), Martin County (northeast), Pike County (east), Knott County (southwest), Magoffin County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Floyd County comprise of Allen, Martin, Prestonsburg, Wayland, Wheelwright, David.
Floyd County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Floyd Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Floyd Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Floyd Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Floyd Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Floyd County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Floyd County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Kentucky Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Floyd County Historical & Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 982, Prestonsburg, KY 41653
- KYFLOYD. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Floyd County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- KENTUCKIANA. A mailing list for genealogy research and information exchange in the Indiana counties of Clark, Crawford, Dubois, Floyd, Gibson, Harrison, Orange, Perry, Pike, Posey, Scott, Spencer, Warrick and Washington, and the Kentucky counties of Breckinridge, Bullitt, Carroll, Hardin, Jefferson, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble. This is a highly research structured list, chatroom atmosphere is discouraged. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Floyd County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Floyd County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Floyd County
- Floyd County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Floyd County
Floyd County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Floyd County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Floyd County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Floyd county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Some records were destroyed by fire in Apr 1808.
- Floydd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 149 South Central Ave., Rm.1, Prestonsburg, KY, 41653
- Phone: (606) 886-8089
- Marriage Records: 1803
- Land Records: 1806
- Probate Records: 1812
- Floyd County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Floyd County Justice Center, 127 S. Lake Drive, Prestonsburg, KY 41653
- Phone: (606) 889-1672
- Court Records: 1808
- Floyd County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Floyd County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Floyd County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Floyd County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Floyd County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Floyd Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Floyd Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Floyd Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Floyd Co. KY Census Records
Floyd Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Floyd Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Floyd Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Floyd Co. KY General and History Websites
Floyd Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Floyd Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Floyd Co. KY Military Records
Floyd Co. KY Schools & Directories