Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy
Henderson County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Henderson Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Henderson County was established on December 21, 1798 from Christian County. Currently the county was named in honor of Richard Henderson (1734–1785), founder of the Transylvania Company.
Currently the Henderson County Seat is situated in Henderson additionally, the county government website is www.hendersonky.us
Locations adjacent to Henderson County happen to be Posey County, Indiana (northwest), Vanderburgh County, Indiana (north), Warrick County, Indiana (northeast), Daviess County (east), McLean County (southeast), Webster County (south), Union County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Henderson County comprise of Corydon, Henderson, Robards.
Henderson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Henderson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Henderson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henderson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Henderson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Henderson County Genealogical & Historical Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Henderson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Kentucky Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
- Henderson Co Historical & Genealogical Society,132-B South Green Street, P.O. Box 303, Henderson KY 42419-0303; (270) 830-7514
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Henderson County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Henderson County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Henderson County
- Henderson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Henderson County
- KYHENDER. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Henderson County, Kentucky, a mother county of Webster and Union Counties, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KYWEST. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Western Kentucky counties of Ballard, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Fulton, Graves, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Lyon, McCracken, Marshall, Trigg, Union, and Webster. Postings must have a connection to one of these counties. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
Henderson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Henderson County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Henderson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Henderson County. The dates stated below tend to be the first widely known records in this county.
- Henderson County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 20 N Main St., Henderson, KY, 42419
- Phone: (270) 826-3906
- Marriage Records: 1806
- Land Records: 1797
- Probate Records: 1799
- Henderson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Henderson County Judicial Center, 5 N. Main St., P.O. Box 675, Henderson, KY 42419-0675
- Phone: (270) 826-2405
- Court Records: 1816
- Henderson County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Henderson County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Kentucky Historical Records
- Databases include Kentucky Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Kentucky Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Kentucky Voter Lists & Census Records; Kentucky Immigration & Emigration Records; Kentucky Obituary Records; Kentucky Military Records; Kentucky Family Tree Records; Kentucky Pictures; Kentucky Stories, Memories & Histories; Kentucky Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Henderson County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Henderson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Henderson County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Henderson Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Henderson Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Henderson Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Henderson Co. KY Census Records
Henderson Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Henderson Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Henderson Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Henderson Co. KY General and History Websites
Henderson Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Henderson Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Henderson Co. KY Military Records
Henderson Co. KY Schools & Directories